Greek kleftiko or klephtiko is a juicy one 'pot' meal that bursts with flavors. It's prepared the Greek way of slow cooking in little portion packages. Originally, they were cooked over hot cool in the soil. Today, the ingredients of each portion are still covered completely in one package, then baked and served as a package. Once plated, it's like digging into a gift of yumminess.
- 4 lamb leg steaks about 2 lbs
- 1 lb broccoli cut into florets
- 1 lb potatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
Kleftiko Culinary Spice Kit
- Oregano, garlic, dill weed, ground dill seeds, cinnamon, mint, chili, nutmeg
▪ Season meat with salt to taste.
▪ In a BOWL, mix oil, wine, and the Kleftiko spices.
Create 4 packets, each as follows:
On an 8-inch PLATE, place (1) ALUMINUM FOIL and (2) PARCHMENT PAPER, each sheet of about 20 inches long.
Staple: lamb, garlic, and tomatoes.
Place potatoes, broccoli, and onions around.
Season with salt to taste.
Drizzle with 4 tbsp of the oil mixture.
Close the PAPER, then the FOIL.
Place the packets on a BAKING RACK.
Bake about 60 minutes until cooked.
For the last 15 minutes, open the PARCHMENT PAPER, and move all toppings off the meat.
Alternatively, use the Kleftiko spices for Moussaka or Souvlaki.
- Substitute meat or broccoli with eggplants or root vegetables.
- Substitute lamb with sirloin steak, pork or veal cutlets, or chicken breast.