These are perfect for your BBQ or just as a change for your weekday dinner. Keftedes are very juicy meatballs thanks to the added ingredients like milk. The Greek spice blend include herbs from dill to mint and warm spices from cinnamon to nutmeg with a hint of chili. Add fresh vegetables or salad, and of course, fresh bread.
- 1 lb ground beef *
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 0.5 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill optional
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Greek yogurt plain **
- 2 oz breadcrumbs ***
- chili flakes to taste optional
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Keftedes Culinary Spice Kit
- fresh bread or cooked rice
- fresh or grilled vegetables or mixed salad
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions until golden.
- Add 2 cloves garlic for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Mix & Form
- In a LARGE BOWL, mix fried onions & garlic, parsley, milk, egg, breadcrumbs, and Keftedes spices.
- Add meat.
- Add to taste: salt (1.25 tsp recommended), pepper, and chili (opt.). Mix well.
- Form meatballs in the shape of a golf ball.
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Place meatballs on a greased BAKING SHEET with some space in between.
- Bake them for about 10-15 minutes.
- Try one after 10 and 12 minutes to make sure that they don't bake too long.
- In a BOWL, squeeze the liquid out of the cucumber.
- Tip: Add liquid to a juice or smoothie.
- Add garlic to taste, yogurt, lemon juice, dill (opt.), and 1 tbsp oil. Mix well.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve keftedes with tzatziki and your preferred sides.
* Substitute beef with poultry or half pork. ** See online recipe to make it from common yogurt. *** Substitute with ground nuts, e.g. almond meal.