Chicken Soup (see notes)
- 2 lbs chicken pieces with skin
- 1 each stalk celery, carrot, onion
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 - 4 lemons for juice
Option 1: Avgolemono Soup
- 1/4 cup orzo
Option 2: Avgolemono Pasta
- 12-16 oz fettuccini or other pasta
- 1 onion finely chopped
- olive oil
Culinary Spice Kit:
- Pink pepperberries, chives, lemon thyme, savory, green peppercorns, lemon crystals
- In a POT, add chicken pieces, roughly cut vegetables, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Take the chicken pieces out.
- When the chicken pieces are cool, tear them in bite-size pieces.
- In a BOWL, whisk 2 eggs with 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in hot broth, 1 tbsp at a time, until the egg-lemon mixture reaches the temperature of the broth.
- In a POT, bring 4 cups of broth to boil.
- Add orzo, 1 cup shredded chicken, hot Avgolemono Base, Avgolemono Spices, and salt & lemon juice to taste.
- Cook for 6-10 minutes until the orzo is cooked al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Cook fettuccini according to package instructions.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions until they turn translucent.
- Add cooking water, 1 cup shredded chicken, hot Avgolemono Base, and Avgolemono Spices, salt & lemon juice to taste.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fettuccini. Mix well.