Global Black Bean Burger
This black bean burger is only one of countless vegetarian burgers that are created to date. The history of meatless fried patties goes back to 1969 when the first recipe appeared. In the early eighties, the first commercial version hit the British market and was an immediate success. However, the term "veggie burger" long referred to as a hamburger with vegetables on top.
- 1 can black beans 15 oz, rinsed, pat dried [*1]
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup ground almonds or bread crumbs [*2]
- 4-6 Hamburger buns [*3]
- salt & pepper
Black Bean Burger Culinary Spice Kit
- Sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, onion, chipotle chili, porcini mushroom, cumin, smoked paprika, green bell pepper, yellow mustard
For Suggested Toppings
- 2-3 red bell pepper halved (orange or yellow work as well)
- 4 oz portabella mushrooms sliced [*4]
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 lb baked potatoes or fries recommended: sweet potatoes
For Suggested Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- sweetener of your choice to taste optionally
- chili powder or sauce to taste optionally
Optional Side - Baked Potatoes
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Cut potatoes in wedges of about 3/4 inch thickness. (You may cut them a bit smaller or bigger according to your preferences.)
- In a BOWL, add potato wedges with 1-2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (opt.), and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- On a greased BAKING SHEET, spread wedges out in one layer.
- Bake wedges for about 20-30 minutes until they are soft inside and crisp outside. Turn them after 10 minutes.
Optional Topping 1 - Roasted Bell Peppers
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- In the OVEN, place bell peppers skin-side up on a lined BAKING SHEET.
- Bake for 20-40 minutes until the skin gets black spots.
- Let cool. Peel skin off. Set aside.
Optional Topping 2 - Fried Mushrooms
- In a PAN, fry mushrooms in 1 tbsp oil until soft.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a CUP, mix mayonnaise with water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the consistency is liquid but not running.
- Add lemon juice & sweetener to taste. Mix well.
- Add chili seasoning to taste. Mix well.
Burgers - Do not use a food processor or blender.
- In a BOWL, mash beans with a potato masher.
- Add egg, almonds, Black Bean Burger spices, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Form 4-6 burger patties.
- In the same PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry burger patties until they are crisp on both sides.
- Serve burgers in buns with your preferred toppings and sides.
 Substitute beans with 1 lb ground meat. If you have the time, let the beans dry in the oven. You can use up to 2 cans of beans without the need to add more of the other ingredients. For a change, substitute all or some of the black beans with kidney beans or pinto beans.  If you don't have any of those ingredients, you can grate stale bread.  For a low carb version, substitute the buns with large lettuce leaves.  Substitute portabella with any big mushrooms or eggplant slices. TIP ▪ Add mayonnaise with horseradish or zesty chili lime. ▪ Add ketchup with honey and chipotle chili.