Global Black Bean Burger - Shopping List
- 1 -2 can black beans (substitute options: pinto beans or kidney beans)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour or bread crumbs
- 4-6 hamburger buns or large lettuce leaves
- optional side: baked or fried (sweet) potatoes (prepared from frozen bag)
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves
- optional: dressing from mayonnaise and horseradish
- optional: 1 jar roasted bell pepper
Global Black Bean Burger - The Breeze Way
This black bean burger is only one of countless vegetarian burgers that are created to date. The history of meatless fried patties goes back to 1969 when the first recipe appeared. In the early eighties, the first commercial version hit the British market and was an immediate success. However, the term "veggie burger" long referred to as a hamburger with vegetables on top.
- 1 can black beans 15 oz, rinsed, pat dried [*1]
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup ground almonds or bread crumbs [*2]
- 4-6 hamburger buns [*3]
- salt & pepper
Black Bean Burger Culinary Spice Kit
- Sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, onion, chipotle chili, porcini mushroom, cumin, smoked paprika, green bell pepper, yellow mustard
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 10 large lettuce leaves
- 1 jar roasted red bell pepper optional
- 1 lb frozen baked potatoes or fries recommended: sweet potatoes
For Suggested Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- In a CUP, mix mayonnaise with water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the consistency is liquid but not running.
- Add horseradish to taste. Mix well.
Burgers - Do not use a food processor or blender
- In a BOWL, mash beans with a potato masher.
- Add egg, almonds, Black Bean Burger spices, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Form 4-6 burger patties.
- In the same PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry burger patties until they are crisp on both sides.
- Serve burgers in buns with your preferred toppings and sides.
 Substitute beans with 1 lb ground meat. If you have the time, let the beans dry in the oven. You can use up to 2 cans of beans without the need to add more of the other ingredients. For a change, substitute all or some of the black beans with kidney beans or pinto beans.  If you don't have any of those ingredients, you can grate stale bread.  For a low carb version, substitute the buns with large lettuce leaves.  Substitute portabella with any big mushrooms or eggplant slices. TIP ▪ Add mayonnaise with zesty chili lime. ▪ Add ketchup with honey and chipotle chili.