Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 lb starchy potatoes *1
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until soft. Let them cool down.
- Peel the potatoes and either press them through a potato press or mash them with a potato masher until no lumps left. Don't use a food processor or blender.
- Let it cool completely.
- Add flour, starch, and egg. Season with salt to taste.
- Mix roughly with a fork. Then knead everything with your hands to a smooth dough, but only very briefly.
- On a well-floured worktop, divide the potato dough into 4 parts.
- Form each part into a long sausage roll of about 1 inch thickness.
- Cut the rolls into about 1 inch wide pieces.
- Roll each piece individually between floured hands into a finger-thick roll with pointed ends.
- Place so the formed Schupfnudeln on a well-floured platter.
- In a wide POT, bring water to a boil. Season with salt to taste.
- Depending on the size of the POT, place 10-20 Schupfnudeln in the boiling water.
- Scoop them out when they rise to the top.
Use the boiled Schupfnudeln in one of our Schupfnudeln recipes or to substitute gnocchi in your favorite recipe.
*1 recommended: russet or yukon gold potatoes