French Valentine's Dinner For Two
Enjoy a French Valentine's dinner for two with classic Filet Mignon au Poivre (pepper steak) and discover the extravagance of a rose-flavored dessert. Filet mignon is the most original choice. Chicken and pork work just as well. Precious green peppercorns give the creamy sauce a less pungent, woody-fruity note.
- 2 inch filet mignon* 1 inch thick
- 2 tbsp cognac** or brandy or similar
- 0.5 cup beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb potatoes cooked and peeled
- 8 oz snow peas or thin carrot slices
- 3 cups yogurt plain, creamy
- butter & oil
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
-  Green peppercorns
-  Rosebud powder
Prepare 30 minutes before cooking
- Soak Valentine  spices in 3 tbsp water.
- Rub dry filets with salt and pepper to taste. Let them rest at room temperature.
- Mix yogurt with Valentine  spices.
- Add honey*** to taste.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil to smoking hot.
- Fry filets 2 minutes on each side over high heat without moving them in between.
- Add 1 tbsp butter. Fry filets over high heat until the desired doneness.
- Transfer filet to a plate and cover with foil.
- Carefully, add cognac**.
- Cook 1 minute. Add the soaked Valentine  spices with the water.
- Cook 2 minutes over high heat.
- Add broth, cream, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce thickened.
- Mash potatoes and reheat with some milk. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- In a separate PAN, heat some butter and fry snow peas for about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
* Substitute filet with chicken breast, pork tenderloin or chops, or eggplant slices. Adjust cooking time. ** On a gas stove, make sure to have a lid at hand in case of catching fire. *** Substitute honey with (maple) syrup. Optionally, add fresh raspberries.