- 1.25 lb skirt steak or brisket
- 1 green bell pepper quartered
- 1 green bell pepper halved & sliced
- 1 large onion quartered
- 1 large onion halved & sliced
- 2 cups rice
- 5 cloves garlic or more to taste
- 2-3 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- olive oil
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Cumin, orange peel, oregano
- Pouch  Chipotle pepper, ancho pepper
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a POT, add meat, the quartered bell pepper & onion, 2 cloves garlic, salt to taste. Fill with water to cover. Close POT. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low.
- Cook 2-4 hours until meat is tender.
- Shred meat into 1/2 inch thick chunks.
- In a PAN, heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. Fry sliced onions and bell pepper with a pinch of salt until translucent. Scoop vegetables out for later. Keep the remaining oil in the PAN.
- In the same PAN, over medium heat, add meat, 3 cloves chopped garlic, Cuban Spices , and Cuban Spices  to taste. Fry for about 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Return vegetables to PAN to reheat.
- Turn off. Add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!
Recipe changes for variation with Mojo Sauce (spiced fried onions):
- Step 5: Fry onions and bell peppers separate.
- Step 6: Don't use Cuban Spices .
- Step 7: Return only bell peppers to the PAN.
- Step 8: Don't use lime juice.
- New Step: To mix the Mojo Sauce, place fried onions in a BOWL and season with lime juice and Cuban Spices  to taste.
- Step 9: Top with Mojo Sauce.
- Peel plantains and cut them into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a PAN, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat.
- Fry plantain slices until they turn golden on both sides.
- Season with salt to taste.
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add 1 can black beans (rinsed).
- Season to taste with salt, cumin, and black pepper.
- Fry beans for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth from cooking the meat.
- Cover POT and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.