Creole Green Papaya Chutney
When referring to green papaya the immature fruit is meant. Its flesh has less flavor than in the ripened state but is loved for the crunch.
- 1 green Papaya
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 limes for juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- fresh red chilies halved and finely sliced
- In a BOWL, finely grate the papaya into thin strips.
- Sprinkle the papaya with salt to taste.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the papaya until all its liquid is drained.
- Season papaya with lime juice and pepper to taste.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tsp oil and fry the onions until translucent.
- Optionally, add chilies and stir for about half a minute.
- Add the papaya. Mix well.
- Cook over medium-low heat a couple of minutes until the papaya is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with Seychellois Kari Koko or Pwason Griye.
Substitute papaya with deseeded English cucumber.