North African Couscous aux Sept Légumes
- 1 lb chicken pieces with skin or lamb or beef
- 10 oz couscous
- 1/2 small white cabbage quartered
- 0.5 lb pumpkin cut in 2-inch thick pieces
- 0.5 lb carrots cut in half
- 0.5 lb turnips or daikon cut in 8 pieces
- 1/2 bunch parsley or cilantro or mixed finely chopped
You might have
- 1 medium onion halved and sliced
- olive oil
Optional vegetables as (partly) substitutes
- 1 large zucchini halved and cut lengthwise
- 2 tomato/es quartered
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup garbanzo or fava beans (from a can, rinsed)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 medium onions halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  paprika, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, saffron
- Pouch  cinnamon, cardamom
- In a POT, melt butter.
- Add sliced onions, salt & Couscous Spices  to taste.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to detach the onions.
- Add 2 tbsp of water.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the onions are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add raisins and sugar.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the onions are caramelized. Stir occasionally.
- In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry meat and onions until the meat turns slightly brown on all sides.
- Add vegetables, salt to taste, and Couscous Spices .
- If you use zucchini, add them after 10 minutes.
- If you use lamb or beef, cook meat in water and spices until it's almost tender, before you add the vegetables.
- Add 2.5 cups of water.
- Cover POT and bring to boil.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the herbs and optionally garbanzo beans and/or raisins and Couscous Spices  to taste. Mix well.
- Continue to cook for about 5-10 minutes until all ingredients are soft but not mashed.
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions.
- On a large plate, serve stew over couscous.
- Optionally, top with Tfaya.