Amok is a national dish of Cambodia. The most common version is Amok Trey with fish in a fresh coconut sauce seasoned with lemongrass, galangal, and makrut limes.
Select Your Ingredients
Typical vegetables are local green Nhor leaves which are slightly bitter. You can make this dish with your favorite protein and vegetables. You can even add some fresh pineapples.
- Substitute fish with sirloin beef, tofu, or more vegetables.
- For the beef: Cut the sirloin beef into 1/4-inch thin strips. Fry beef strips in oil over high heat to the desired doneness. Add the fried beef strips to the finished amok dish.
- For the tofu:
(1) Prepare: Drain the tofu for 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into half-inch cubes.
(2) Optionally, bake tofu in the OVEN at 350°F for 2o minutes, turning tofu halfway. This gives the tofu an extra crunch.
(3) Substitute tofu for fish. Add the tofu, leaves, and remaining coconut cream altogether. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium-low heat until the leaves are soft.
- Substitute green leaves with bok choy, mushrooms, green asparagus, bell pepper, and/or napa cabbage.
The Amok Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Lemongrass, galangal, lemon, turmeric, makrut lime, chili flakes, basil, bay leaves, lime peel
- 1 lb fish filet*) or chicken thighs cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 can coconut cream 13.5 oz
- 1 bunch green leaves mustard, collard, or dandelion, roughly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- cooked rice
- vegetable or coconut oil salt
Optional (to taste)
- lime or lemon juice
- tamari or soy sauce or fish sauce
- fresh red chilies chopped
- fresh pineapple bite-size chunks
Amok Culinary Spice Kit
- Lemongrass, galangal, lemon, turmeric, makrut lime, chili flakes, basil, bay leaves, lime peel
- In a large PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-low heat.
- Fry onions with a pinch of salt until they turn translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of the coconut cream and Amok spices. Mix well.
- Add fish or chicken and salt to taste.
- Mix well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add leaves and remaining coconut cream. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the leaves are soft and the fish or chicken is cooked.
- Serve amok with rice.
- Optionally, add pineapple and/ or season to taste with lime juice, tamari or fish sauce, and/ or fresh chilies.