Californian Seared Ahi Tuna Salad
Seared Ahi Tuna Salad is served in most Southern Californian microbrewery restaurants. Enjoy this fast to prepare and delicious dish at home. If you cannot find fresh tuna, just cook the tuna through or make the dish with fresh salmon or chicken breast.
- 3-4 Ahi tuna steaks (fresh sushi-quality)
- 1 lb mixed lettuce salad of your choice (cut in 1 inch slices)
- fresh baguette
- 1 orange (for juice)
- balsamic vinegar
- syrup or honey (optional)
- vegetable oil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Ahi Tuna Culinary Spice Kit
- pouch  smoked paprika, oregano, black pepper, white pepper
- pouch  Chipotle chili
- Season both sides of the tuna steaks with Ahi Tuna  spices, and salt and Ahi Tuna  spices to taste.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil until smoking hot.
- Add tuna steaks. Cook each side for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. The inside will still be rare.
- If you want the tuna fully cooked, turn the heat to medium and cook until done.
- Cut the tuna steaks into slices of about 1/4 inch.
- In a BOWL, place lettuce.
- In a CUP, mix 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar with 1 tbsp fresh orange juice. Add syrup to taste (optional).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Toss it over the lettuce and mix well.
- Place salad on plates and the tuna slices on top. Serve with fresh baguette.
Add vegetables to the salad, e.g.:
- Substitute tuna with:
salmon, shrimps, or chicken.
2 carrots, thin 1 inch long stripes
1 cup capers, the smallest available
1 cup edamame beans