Californian Seared Ahi Tuna Salad
Seared Ahi Tuna Salad is served in most of Southern Californian microbrewery restaurants. Enjoy this fast to prepare and delicious dish at home. If you cannot find fresh tuna, cook the tuna just trough or make the dish with fresh salmon or chicken breast.
- 3-4 Ahi tuna steaks (fresh sushi-quality)
- 1 lb mixed lettuce salad of your choice (cut in 1 inch slices)
- fresh baguette
- 1 orange (for juice)
- balsamic vinegar
- syrup or honey (optional)
- vegetable oil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- pouch  Ahi Tuna Spices smkoked, paprika, oregano, black pepper, white pepper
- pouch  Ahi Tuna Spices chili
- Season both sides of the tuna steaks with Ahi Tuna  spices, and salt and Ahi Tuna  spices to taste.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil until smoking hot.
- Add tuna steaks. Cook each side for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. The inside will still be rare.
- If you want the tuna fully cooked, turn the heat to medium and cook until done.
- Cut the tuna steaks into slices of about 1/4 inch.
- In a BOWL, place lettuce.
- In a CUP, mix 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar with 1 tbsp fresh orange juice. Add syrup to taste (optional).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Toss it over the lettuce and mix well.
- Place salad on plates and the tuna slices on top. Serve with fresh baguette.
Add vegetables to the salad, e.g.:
- Substitute tuna with:
salmon, shrimps, or chicken.
2 carrots, thin 1 inch long stripes
1 cup capers, the smallest available
1 cup edamame beans