Balkan Ćevapčići Sausages with Đuveč Rice
These small, finger-shaped grilled sausages with a smooth and springy texture are bursting with flavor. Serve them in bread or with some traditional sides.
Đuveč Spice Blend
Hungarian paprika, green and red bell pepper, black pepper, marjoram, savory, fenugreek, celery seeds
Balkan Ćevapčići with Đuveč
- 1 lb ground meat 
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup rice thoroughly rinsed
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth 
- salt & pepper
Đuveč Culinary Spice Kit
- Hungarian paprika, green and red bell pepper, black pepper, marjoram, savory, fenugreek, celery seeds
- French fries or baked potatoes
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- ajvar paste
- cabbage salad
- In a BOWL, mix meat with baking soda, 2 oz water, garlic, salt & pepper to taste.
- Knead for about 20 minutes.
- Wet your hands with a little water. Form small sausages, with a diameter of a thumb and no more than 2 inches in length.
- Place sausages in a large BAKING PAN.
- If you make a bigger batch, place BAKING PAPER or ALUMINUM FOIL between each layer.
- Cover the BAKING PAN.
- Let them rest in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
- Grill the sausages over medium heat Occasionally, brush sausages with the broth.
- Alternatively, fry the sausages in a PAN with oil over medium heat, turning frequently.
Balkan Rice - Option 1: as a Side 
- In a POT, heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions and garlic over low heat until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, peas, Đuveč spices, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the rice. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups broth or more until all is covered.
- Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook until the rice is done and all liquid has been absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
Balkan Rice - Option 2: as a Complete Meal 
- Modify the directions for Balkan Rice - Option 1, as following:
- Before adding onions to the POT, fry 8 oz chicken (1/2 inch sized pieces) over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return heat to medium and continue with the onions.
- After the onions are done, add 1 chopped bell pepper (red or green or mixed). Fry the bell peppers for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Continue with adding the tomatoes, ...
- 1. Serve sausages with rice (as a side) and any fresh green salad with a light dressing (no mayo or cream) . Optionally, add mustard or our Apple Beer Grill Sauce.
- 2a). Serve sausages in bread: Brush the inside of the bread with broth and spread it with sour cream or yogurt or with ajvar. Fill the bread with chopped onions and 2 to 5 sausages.
- 2b) Prepare Balkan rice as a complete meal. Optionally, serve it with any fresh green salad with a light dressing (no mayo or cream) .
- 3) Make it a complex Balkan meal: Serve sausages with rice (as a side), add cabbage salad and ajvar. Optionally, add French fries.
- Plan for about 1 cup more broth.
- When adding the broth, add 1/2 cup more of the broth and 1 tbsp tomato paste.
- During the last cooking step, check after 15 and 20 minutes if there is still any liquid left to complete the rice cooking process without burning it. If necessary, add 1/4 cup of boiling hot broth. But don't stir!