Ayurvedic Dal Salad With Chapatis
Add this healthy Indian salad to your summer menu. Its unique Ayurvedic spice blend contains amla berry powder. Top the salad with a dollop of mint raita or use the yogurt dip with grilled vegetables.
Amla Berries for a Long Life
The Indian gooseberry grows on a sacred tree, is rich in vitamin C, and has been said to support longevity.
▪ Substitute lentils with 2 cups quinoa.
▪ Substitute tomatoes and cucumber with 1/2-1 cup each of pomegranates and chopped dates.
▪ Add grated cucumber to the Mint Raita.
▪ Add Chapati bread with our recipe (see recipe below).
The Dal Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Ayurvedic Dal Salad With Chapati
- 1 cup lentils green or brown
- 1 onion quartered and sliced
- 1 carrot halved and sliced
- 8 oz cocktail tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 English cucumber cubed
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 lemon for juice
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup flour wheat, rye, buckwheat, or mixed
Culinary Spice Kit
- Pouch  Fennel, amla berries, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, brown mustard, black pepper, asafoetida, coriander, fenugreek
- Pouch  Mint, cumin, ajowan, asafoetida, chili
- Cook lentils according to package instructions until firm.
- Add onions (except green onions) and carrots for the last 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Drain and let cool at room temperature.
- In a SALAD BOWL, mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with 1 tsp of the Dal  spices and 1 tbsp oil.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, and green onions. Mix well.
- Add lentils with onions and carrots. Mix well.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Optionally, add more Dal  spices and/ or lemon juice to taste.
- Let rest for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Optionally, pour the yogurt into a strainer lined with a paper towel and a bowl underneath. Keep it in the fridge for a few hours. The drained yogurt will be wonderfully creamy.
- In a BOWL, mix yogurt with Dal  spices and salt to taste.
- In a BOWL, mix the flour, spices, and salt to taste (1/2 tsp recommended) with 3/8 cups of warm water and 1 tsp oil until the dough is pliable.
- Cover and let rest for 30-60 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10-20 minutes.
- Form small balls. Flatten them to patties.
- Roll the patties out until the dough is very thin, turning each time you roll.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry each chapati for 15-20 seconds on each side. Turn it when brown spots appear underneath.
- Next, press lightly all over to blow up the chapati.
- Transfer chapati to a PLATE. Cover them with a kitchen towel until all chapatis are done.
- Serve Dal Salad with Mint Raita and optionally chapatis.
- Substitute lentils with 2 cups quinoa.
- Substitute tomatoes and cucumber with 1/2-1 cup each of pomegranates and chopped dates.
- Add grated cucumber to the Mint Raita.