The basic recipe for Avgolemono is a healthy chicken soup thickened with eggs and seasoned with lemon juice to taste. Perfect for the cold season. We added a modern twist with our pink pepperberry-lemon thyme blend.
Soup, Pasta, or Else?
Optionally, make a delicious Avgolemono pasta sauce. You can add your favorite vegetables either in the soup or pasta sauce. Or pour the sauce over cooked or fried vegetables. A good fit is green asparagus, turnip, rutabaga, pumpkin, zucchini, and/or carrot.
- Skip the chicken soup step and buy cooked shredded
chicken and chicken broth instead.
- Substitute orzo with small noodles or cooked rice.
- Add your favorite vegetables to the Avgolemono Soup.
- Omit the chicken in the Avgolemono Soup.
- Add 1-2 tbsp white wine and/or olive oil to the Base.
- For a thicker soup, dissolve 1-2 tsp cornstarch in
2 tbsp cold water. Add it to the Avgolemono Base.
The Avgolemono Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Pink pepperberries, chives, lemon thyme, savory, green peppercorns, lemon crystals