Basturma is a pastrami style beef with a fenugreek based seasoning. Our spice kit includes mild Aleppo pepper. Experience the intensive flavor in this adaption for marinated grill meat. Or use the spice blend in a bell pepper dip. Add a cold fresh cucumber summer salad with dill. Armenians like the salad more liquidy close to a soup.
- 1.5 lbs chicken
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 English cucumber finely diced
- 1 cup yogurt plain
- salt & pepper
Basturma Culinary Spice Kit
-  Fenugreek, cumin, allspice, black pepper, smoked paprika
-  Aleppo pepper
-  Dill
- cooked bulgur rice, or couscous
- Armenian Lavash bread
- In a BOWL, mix 2 tbsp oil, 2/3 of the garlic, and Basturma  spices.
- Add salt and Basturma  spices to taste.
- In a CONTAINER, pour the marinade over the meat slices and mix well.
- Let it marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
- In a BOWL, mix yogurt with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add Basturma  spices and 1/3 of the garlic.
- Mix with cucumber and salt & pepper to taste.
- Let it cool in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Add meat slices and fry quickly until the meat is just cooked. Turn frequently.
- Serve basturma with jajuk and your preferred side(s).
Alternative Vegetarian Spread or Dip
4 red bell peppers, halved
1 clove garlic
1-4 tbsp nuts (choose your favorite)
Roast bell pepper skin side up in the OVEN at 350°F about 20 min until the skin comes off. Let it cool. Peel. Blend the flesh in a food processor with 1 tbsp oil, 1 clove garlic, and optionally nuts. Add water as needed to get a smooth paste.
Add to taste: salt, Basturma  +  spices