Vellutata, which means "velvety," is a simple and gentle yet elegant soup. What makes it "velvety" is its fusion of a creamy vegetable base topped with a light mushroom sauce. Try diced mushrooms for a change and more texture. Our spice blend adds the extraordinary flavor of precious porcini mushrooms combined with chives and tarragon. If you are not a fan of vegetable cream, serve the sauce with your preferred pasta.
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak or chicken breast thinly sliced
- 2 lb cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1 large potato diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms diced or sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Vellutata Culinary Spice Kit
- Porcini mushrooms, garlic, tarragon, chives
In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and fry until they turn brown.
Add the cauliflower and potato.
Season with salt & pepper to taste. Fry for about 5 minutes.
Add the broth. Mix well. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
Cook for 10 minutes. Let it cool a bit.
Transfer the soup to a BLENDER.
Blend it until smooth. Return the soup to the POT.
Add the cream. Adjust salt & pepper.
Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes without lid.
In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
Add the meat seasoned with salt & pepper to taste and fry it to your desired doneness.
Take the meat out and set aside.
Add the mushrooms. Fry until they are soft.
Add the Vellutata spices and salt to taste. Mix well.
Return the meat. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Omit the meat.
- Substitute cauliflower with zucchini.
- Substitute heavy cream with sour cream.
- Substitute mushrooms with leek or green asparagus
- Substitute the soup with cooked pasta.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream with the Vellutata spices to the sauce.