Italian Pollo con Pesto al Forno
Pollo con Pesto al Forno is an easy baked chicken. Just perfect for a weeknight. Our spice blend includes sun-dried tomatoes and precious pine nuts. We skipped the cheese to avoid preservatives. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the blend on a margarita pizza, or pasta with tomato or cheese sauce.
- 2 pieces chicken breasts cut into 4 thin(halved horizontally)
- 8-12 oz mozzarella cut into thin slices
- 2 large tomato/es cut into thin slices
- 1-2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Cooked orzo, baked or mashed potatoes, or French fries.
- Green asparagus, kale or lettuce salad, or sautéed spinach.
Culinary Spice Kit
- Basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, salt, black pepper.
Preheat the OVEN to 350°F.
Season chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
Mix Pesto spices with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 3/8 cup olive oil.
In a BAKING DISH, spread a thin layer of oil on the bottom.
Add the chicken halves in one layer.
Spread the pesto mixture evenly onto the chicken.
Place tomato slices in one layer on top.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese to taste.
Add mozzarella slices as the last layer.
Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
Alternative Vegetarian Version
Cut zucchini lengthwise in half and scoop out the middle.
Season the inside with salt & pepper to taste.
Dice the scooped out flesh and add it to the Pesto mixture.
Fill it back into the zucchini.
Place the zucchini in the greased BAKING DISH.
Continue with the assemble and bake steps of the recipe above.
▪ Substitute chicken with zucchini and follow the vegetarian version.
▪ Substitute chicken with fish filet.
▪ Substitute mozzarella with your preferred cheese.