Indian Summer Aloo Gobi Matar
Aloo Gobi Matar is a popular Indian curry with potato ("aloo"), cauliflower ("gobi"), and peas ("matar"). It's easy to make and quickly on your dinner table. We put our take on it with an ayurvedic spice blend that brings a touch of freshness to the dish, just right for the summertime. Alternatively, the spice blend makes an exotic rub for grilling.
- 2 large potatoes cut into 1/2 inch dices
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into 1 inch florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/2 inch ginger grated
Culinary Spice Kit
- Fennel cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamom
- 1/2 lb chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 can garbanzo beans rinsed
- cooked Basmati rice
- Indian flatbread
In a large POT, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
Add onions and cook until translucent.
Add garlic, ginger, Summer Aloo Gobi Matar spices, and tomatoes.
Cover and cook over low heat 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the potatoes and cauliflower.
Optionally, add chicken or garbanzo beans.
Add 1 cup of water and salt to taste.
Cover. Bring to a boil.
Turn heat to low and cook for 15 to 25 minutes until all ingredients are almost tender.
Check in between if it needs a bit more water.
Add peas. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve Summer Aloo Gobi Matar over rice and/ or with flatbread. Enjoy!
Alternative Grill Recipe
Rub Summer Aloo Gobi Matar spices and salt to taste into 1 lb chicken pieces, fish fillet, or steak.
Grill until browned and cooked through.
Let rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
▪ Substitute water with coconut milk, heavy cream, or
▪ Alternative, rub Summer Aloo Gobi Matar spices and salt to taste into 1 lb chicken pieces, fish fillet, or steak.
Fry over high heat until brown and cooked through.