European Holiday Feast
Roasted goose with potato dumplings and holiday spiced red cabbage is one of the traditional holiday feasts in Northern Europe. The preparation is faster and easier with gnocchi and chicken or turkey. You can save even more time without gravy. The juicy sauce out of the oven is scrumptious by itself. The key ingredient is the herb mugwort. It's also beneficial for the digestion.
- 4 lbs chicken legs and breast with bones and skin
- 1 lb red cabbage finely sliced
- 1 orange peeled and quartered
- 1 sour apple quartered
- 1 sour apple chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 0.5 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
-  Mugwort Do not use during pregnancy
-  Juniper berries, cloves, bay leaf
Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
Rub chicken on all sides with salt & pepper.
In a large OVEN DISH, spread 2 tbsp oil and add chicken pieces skin-side down.
Distribute Holiday Feast  spices, orange, apple quarters, onions, and 1 cup of water around the chicken.
Cover*) and bake in the OVEN for 45-60 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Every 15 minutes, stir the liquid and spoon it over the chicken.
After 30 minutes take off the cover and turn the chicken.
In a POT, strain liquid from the OVEN DISH.
In a small CUP, dissolve flour in 1/8 cup water.
Add flour-water to the POT. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium.
Simmer for 2-5 minutes until it thickens. Add salt & pepper to taste.
In a POT, melt butter.
Add cabbage and vinegar. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add chopped apple, wine, Holiday Feast  spices, salt to taste, and a dash of sugar.
Mix well, cover, and cook over low heat for 45-60 minutes until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!
Notes & Variations
▪ Substitute chicken with turkey, goose, duck, or pork tenderloin. Adjust cooking time.
▪ Substitute gnocchi with mash potatoes.
▪ Substitute orange with 1 cup of cranberries.
*) Use aluminum foil to cover the chicken.