Lobio is a very popular dish in Georgia, Europe. It's served as a hot stew in the winter or a cold dip in the summer. There exist many variations for the ingredients. Please select your favorite from our suggestions. You might want to serve it with pomegranate and cornbread for an extraordinarily complex flavor experience. Pickled vegetables are another good addition. The spice blend is the famous Khemli Suneli.
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed, 15 oz each
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup walnuts ground
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Pomegranate molasses* or fresh seeds
- Cornbread or flatbread
Culinary Spice Kit
- Coriander, fenugreek, mint, paprika, black pepper, turmeric, methi, savory, basil, cinnamon, cloves
In a BOWL, mash about 2/3 of the beans with a potato masher.
In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Fry the onions until soft, stirring frequently.
In a POT, add all beans and broth. Mix well.
Add the fried onions with the oil, ground walnuts, Lobio spices, cilantro, and
salt & pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
▪ Substitute beans with navy or cranberry beans.
▪ Substitute half of the beans with 1/2 lb ground meat.
▪ Substitute cilantro with mint or parsley.
▪ Substitute walnuts with almonds or hazelnuts or 1 tbsp flour in step 4.
▪ Add 2 cloves grated garlic in step 2.
▪ Add 8 oz green beans and 0.5 cup more broth in step 3.
▪ Add 0.25 cup chopped walnuts in step 4.
*) Recipe for pomegranate molasses.