A Dish With Its Own Museum
The Currywurst might be the only street food worldwide that is honored with a dedicated museum, the Currywurst Museum in Berlin.
The original dish from the Fifties is a short sausage, sliced and served with a secret curry sauce and bread.
From Street Food to a Complete Meal
Northern Germany serves a complete meal with a long sausage, French fries, and sour cabbage salad.
- Substitute cabbage salad with a quick sour sliced cucumber salad or with your favorite potato salad.
- Substitute French fries with baked potato wedges and/or baked root vegetables.
- Add mayonnaise as an additional sauce.
- Use any kind of sausage that you prefer, e.g. hot dog or vegan.
The Currywurst Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Ginger, chili, yellow mustard, paprika, turmeric, asafoetida, cardamom, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, white pepper and coriander
- 1 lb sausages*)
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 12 oz frozen French fries prepared
- 4 cups white cabbage finely shredded
- agave syrup or honey
- white vinegar
- vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
Currywurst Culinary Spice Kit
- Ginger, chili, yellow mustard, paprika, turmeric, asafoetida, cardamom, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, white pepper and coriander
- 3 bread rolls
- In a large BOWL, mix 3 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp syrup, salt & pepper to taste, and 2 tbsp oil.
- Add cabbage. Knead seasoning well into the cabbage. Keep in the fridge.
- In a POT, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Careful of splatters, add tomato puree.
- Add 1 tbsp syrup, 1 tbsp vinegar, Currywurst spices, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Cook covered over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry sausages until browned on all sides.
- Transfer sausages to a plate and cut them into 1/2 inch slices.
- Serve sauce over sausages with French fries and salad, and optional bread rolls and/or mayonnaise.