Orange Semolina Cake
Shopping list for the batter
- 1.5 cup semolina
- 0.5 cup sugar use to taste: up to 0.25less or more
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 0.25-0.5 tsp ground small mastic tears
- 1.5 cup yogurt
- 0.5 c milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Shopping list for the syrup
- 0.75 cup sugar use to taste: 0.25less or up to 0.75more
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 green cardamom pods optional
- 1 stick cinnamon optional
Shopping list for garnish (optional)
- 1 orange halved and sliced
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup ice cream vanilla or orange flavor
- In a small POT, add bring 0.5 cup of water to boil.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Optional: Add cardamom or cinnamon.
- Mix in orange juice. Return to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and cook slowly for about 10 minutes. The syrup shall have thickened but still be runny.
- Remove and let cool.
- In a BOWL, mix semolina with sugar, baking soda, and mastic.
- Add yogurt, milk, and lemon juice.
- With an ELECTRIC MIXER, beat until the batter is creamy.
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Spread a thinly layer of butter onto a BAKING PAN.
- Pour the batter into the BAKING PAN.
- Bake for about 1 to 1.5 hours until its baked and lightly golden.
- If the top turns brown before it fully baked, cover the pan with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.
- Take the BAKING PAN out.
- Pour syrup over hot cake.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar.
- Serve cake with orange slices and/or ice cream.
Here are some Greek cake recipes. For all you can add ground mastic tears to the batter to get this special flavor: