The origin of Shakshuka might be in Turkey, Spain, or Tunisia. The Israeli version with a beautiful top of poached eggs became famous around the world. This flavorful tomato stew with vegetables has usually a bit of heat. Our Turkish Marash pepper flakes add more flavor than heat.
The Magic of Za'atar
Add a dip with the versatile Za’atar blend. The key ingredient for this magic spice blend is a Mediterranean thyme, called za’atar.
Za’atar is more flavorful than the thyme from the common spice boards. Sumac adds a citrus note and sesame seeds a slight nutty crunch. Use it for a dip or marinade.
- Adapt the recipe to your liking: without eggs, with hot chilies, and/ or other vegetables, for instance, pumpkin, leek, sweet potatoes, or mushrooms.
- Instead of the dip, marinate 1 lb strips from chicken breast or sirloin beef in 1.5 tbsp za’atar, 2 tbsp oil, and salt to taste for 1-2 hours before frying.
The Shakshuka Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Cumin, paprika, Marash pepper
Middle Eastern Shakshuka
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 bell pepper (1 green, 1 red)
- 1 lb tomatoes finely chopped
Shakshuka Culinary Spice Kit
- Cumin, smoked paprika, mild Marash chili flakes, marjoram, basil
- Fried bacon strips thinly sliced
- Grated cheese of your liking for instance: parmesan, Romano, cheddar
- Fresh chopped parsley or basil
- Fresh roasted garlic bread
- Couscous, rice, or quinoa
- Baked potatoes
- Chop bell pepper into small or medium pieces to your liking.
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions until they turn translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add bell pepper and salt to taste. Fry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Shakshuka spices, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 15 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and released their juice.
- With a tablespoon, form a little well in the sauce and crack one egg into the well. Continue with the remaining eggs.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the eggs whites are set but the yolks are still running or cooked to your liking.
- Serve with your preferred toppings (optional) and sides.