The origin of Shakshuka might be in Turkey, Spain, or Tunisia. The Israeli version with a beautiful top of poached eggs became famous around the world. This flavorful tomato stew with vegetables has usually a bit of heat. Our Turkish Marash pepper flakes add more flavor than heat.
The Magic of Za'atar
Add a dip with the versatile Za’atar blend. The key ingredient for this magic spice blend is a Mediterranean thyme, called za’atar.
Za’atar is more flavorful than the thyme from the common spice boards. Sumac adds a citrus note and sesame seeds a slight nutty crunch. Use it for a dip or marinade.
- Adapt the recipe to your liking: without eggs, with hot chilies, and/ or other vegetables, for instance, pumpkin, leek, sweet potatoes, or mushrooms.
- Instead of the dip, marinate 1 lb strips from chicken breast or sirloin beef in 1.5 tbsp za’atar, 2 tbsp oil, and salt to taste for 1-2 hours before frying.
The Shakshuka Culinary Spice Kit includes the following spices:
Cumin, paprika, Marash pepper
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes chopped (*)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (*)
- 1 bunch parsley chopped
- pita bread or other flatbread
- 3-4 eggs
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped or grated (or more to taste)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Shakshuka Culinary Spice Kit
- Cumin, coriander, paprika, Marash pepper, black pepper
- In a PAN, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry bell peppers for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, Shakshuka spices, and salt to taste.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until the sauce thickened a bit. Stir.
- With a tablespoon, form a little well in the sauce and crack one egg into the well. Continue with the remaining eggs.
- Continue to cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still running.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- In a small CUP, add olive oil and optionally Za'atar and garlic to taste.
- Serve with warm bread.
- Omit eggs
- Add hot chilies,
- Add other vegetables, for instance, pumpkin, leek, sweet potatoes, or mushrooms.