Chilean Pastel de Choclo
- 1 lb ground beef or poultry or mixed
- 2 lb corn kernels
- 8 leaves largefresh basil
- 1 cup black olives pitted
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- vegetable oil
- Aji panca, cumin
- In a FOOD PROCESSOR, mix corn and basil with some milk into a creamy paste.
- In a POT, cook the corn paste with butter and salt to taste over low heat for about 20 minutes until it thickens. Stir frequently.
- In a PAN, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Fry onions until they turn translucent.
- Add meat, Pastel de Choclo Spices, and salt to taste.
- Stir-fry meat until it’s crumbled and cooked. Set aside.
- Coat a BAKING DISH with oil.
- Fill it in layers, starting with the meat, add eggs, olives, and optional raisins.
- Finish with a thick layer of the corn paste.
- Sprinkle the top thinly with sugar.
- Preheat OVEN to 350°F.
- Bake the Pastel de Choclo in the OVEN until the sugar turns brown.
- Serve Pastel de Choclot with a fresh salad of your choice (optional).