Greek Moussaka a la Kleftiko
- 1.5 lb lamb chops or beef sirloin steaks
- 1/2 inch large eggplant cut lengthwise into thin 1/4 slices
- 1/2 lb potatoes cut into thin 1/4 slices
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 2 tomato/es cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
- 1 lettuce of your choice
You might have
- 1 onion sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 orange for juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Culinary Spice Kit
- Black pepper thyme, cinnamon, bay leaves
- In a large BOWL, add eggplant and a pinch of salt. Cover with cold water. Let rest for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Season lamb with salt to taste.
- In a BOWL, mix 7 tbsp oil, wine, and about half of the Moussaka Spices.
- Preheat OVEN to 400°F.
Create 3 packets, each as follows:
- On an 8-inch PLATE, place (1) ALUMINUM FOIL and (2) BAKING PAPER, each a sheet of about 20 inches long.
- Staple: eggplant, lamb, tomato, garlic.
- Place potatoes and onions around.
- Drizzle with 3 tbsp of the oil mixture.
- Season with salt and sprinkle with cheese.
- Close BAKING PAPER, then FOIL
- Place the packets on a baking rack.
- Bake about 60 minutes until cooked.
- Mix 3 tbsp orange juice, 1 tbsp oil, salt & pepper to taste. Toss over lettuce.
- Serve salad with packets.